Useful Information about the River Forest/ Lake Station Alternative ProgramOur Goal
Students Who May Be Eligible
- The overall goal of the River Forest/Lake Station alternative progam is to give students the opportunity to be successful in school. The progam is geared toward those who have not found academic success, and who want to make a difference in their education. Our program serves approximately 30 students from both River Forest High School and Thomas A. Edison Jr./Sr. High School. Along with the help of a director, behavioral specialist and paraprofessional, our goal is to help students make progress in both the classroom and in life after school as well.
- The focus is on those students who have been disruptive in the classroom, are lacking credits and need alternative approaches to learning. All referrals will be reviewed individually to assure the alternative program provides the students an opportunity for success. Below are examples of the criteria to qualify for eligibility:
- Student intends to withdraw or has withdrawn before graduation.
- Student has failed to comply academically and would benefit from instruction
- offered in a different manner from the traditional school setting.
- Student is a parent or expectant parent.
- Student is a disruptive student.
- Number of classes to be determined – all core classes. Software is aligned to state standards, Core 40 courses are available; to be delivered through A+ software. Student must obtain 80% accuracy and 100% completion to receive credit.
- At all times the following staff members will be on site: One director/facilitator (must hold a valid Indiana teachers license), one aide and one full-time behavioral specialist.
- Those enrolled in the academic alternative program will follow River Forest High School Student Conduct Codes with addition of specific policies related to the program.
- Attendance rate will meet or exceed school attendance rate; decrease number of suspensions in the high school; decrease the number of expulsions in school corporation; decrease number of drop outs at the high school.
- Parents/Students are responsible for their own transportation to and from the program. Those Lake Station student's attending the morning session have the opportunity to be dropped off at River Forest High School by bus service. The bus leaves from Thomas A. Edison Jr./Sr. High School at approximately 7:40 A.M.
Last Modified on August 28, 2013