School HistoryThe story of River Forest Senior High School starts early in the year 1956. At that time, Hobart City Schools notified the township trustee that there was no room at Hobart for the freshman class of the coming school year. After investigating all possibilities, it was decided that the only way out was to house the incoming Hobart Township Freshmen in the Henry S. Evans Elementary School, and to start a holding company in order to build a proper high school.In the summer of 1956, a holding company was formed, known as the Hobart Township Building Corporation. An architect and attorney were hired, and plans for the new building were started. On March 1, 1957, it was announced that the State of Indiana would lend the money for building construction.
In June of 1957, the cornerstone was placed, and on August 17, 1958, there were 3,000 township residents looking over the new school in its open house ceremony. On September 24, 1958, the new River Forest High School was formally dedicated.
At the dedication the school had progressed from a dream into a realization of one of the finest school plants around. This project was accomplished by a unified effort of all people in Hobart Township; it was the outcome of a community that wanted the best for its youngsters and went out and got it.
The junior high addition began in 1958. It was opened for the 1959-60 school year. Extensive renovations ($800,000) were done to the cafeteria and most shop areas in the late 1970's. Further renovations to the junior high-high school complex began in 1986 and continued through 1988. Modernization of the high school gym lobby, restrooms, home economics department, science department, and business department was included, along with the construction of a new gymnasium, locker rooms, and computer lab for the junior high building.